Wedding Flowers at Smithfield Flower Market
I recently published a post on doing your own wedding flowers and no doubt it was food for thought.
If you plan on doing a DIY job then let me tell you all about Smithfield Flower Market.
Located just off the quays in Dublin and close to Jervis Street Shopping Centre, Smithfield Flower Market is one of the longest floral wholesalers in Ireland.
I visited Joseph M Duffy & Sons right in the middle of the Market. I couldn’t get over the huge selection. They stock pretty much every flower you could dream of.
As mentioned in my previous post, if you plan to do your own wedding flowers this is the ideal place to come and Joe is so so helpful.
How it works:
1. It’s so simple to buy, it’s putting it all together that’s hard!
2. You don’t need an appointment, you can just arrive and it’s best to do so first thing in the morning as by lunch a lot of the stock sells out.
3. If you are trying to get a specific flower, they may need to order it in so you should pop in a few weeks before to see if it’s viable.
4. Remember that seasonality is the cornerstone in floristry so a summer flower may not be possible to get in Autumn for example.
5. You don’t need a trade account, you can buy there and then. Yes they take card!
6. There is a floral accessory shop behind the market and you can pick up pieces to assemble your bouquets.
7. It is advisable to do some trial runs before the big day so you may need to pop in before and buy flowers to do a trial run.
8. You can’t be guaranteed the exact same stock every time you visit. Stock can change daily.
9. You have to buy full bouquets of each flower type you need so you may end up with over stock but from my experience, there is always a use for flowers for a wedding!
10. If you are buying, you will need to store flowers in water and cold storage.
Good luck with all of your wedding flower projects!
Comments are closed