So many of you have reached out to me over the last few weeks and I really wish I had a magic wand to make everything better and get you guys up that aisle and living your best life. We need to hold firm until we get to Phase 5.
The most common questions I am being asked at the moment include:
- My wedding is in August/September/October/November/December…..Do you think it will go ahead?
- How many people will I be able to bring?
- Should I postpone?
- Should I rethink my dream day?
Firstly, I really empathise with all of you and I can feel the disappointment for you.
Do I think any weddings will take place in 2020? I honestly don’t know as like you, I have no insight in to the future and am awaiting the news.
What we have been told to date is that small weddings will go ahead from phase 5 onwards (July). What many believe will happen will be left for a venue to define their numbers based on what is a viable capacity whilst adhering to social distancing rules.
So here’s the thing that only you can answer, what you will need to decide upon is; if you can go ahead and get married this year, are you happy to do so with restriction?
The restrictions could include lowering your numbers to whatever that may be, perhaps there will be masks, you may not be able to have vulnerable people attend, 1 or 2 meter distancing between guests, gloves, no hugs, no conga line on the dance floor and no shaking hands. We would hope that as the Government consider this phase that they are considering these things.
If it feels like this takes away from what you envisaged for your day then yes you probably should postpone as it’s a lot of money, emotional commitment to sacrifice.
If on the other-hand, you can live without everything else and just want to be married and that’s whats most important then provided your venue will take a lower number or you are prepared to walk away from your deposit then that is the best option for you.
There is no set rule for every couple as circumstances will be different in all cases. The fact is that we don’t have all of the information so that you can make informed decisions yet but what needs to be considered is the financial implications. If your supplier/venue is operating when you are due to get married, they should be giving you an option to postpone. If you decide to cancel and the venue is operating within the government guidelines or offering you an option to postpone, then you wont be entitled to a refund.
I would say, sit tight for the moment until we know what the exact requirements are. Try to think about what a postponement or reduced size wedding would look like but you don’t have to make a decision yet.
I hope this helps!
Photo credit – Katie Kavanagh
Comments are closed